PEI Potato Fudge Cake by Chef Krista MacQuarrie served at Saltscapes Expo 2013
1 cup Mashed PEI potatoes
2 cups Sugar
2/3 cup Butter
4 lg. Egg yolks
½ tsp. Salt
- 2 cups Flour
2/3 cup Cocoa
3 tsp. Baking powder
1 cup Milk
4 lg. Egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9”x13” baking pan.
2. Cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in egg yolks one by one until fully incorporated.
3. Beat in the mashed potatoes.
4. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.
5. Gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into prepared 9”x13” pan and spread batter out evenly.
6. Bake at 350°F degrees until firm, approximately 20-25 minutes.