Summer is all about the snacks. Parents who have spent time at home with children know that little humans request many snacks during the run of a day. Many snacks.
Instead of always reaching for packaged foods, we would like to challenge you to feed those little mouths with as many local PEI products as you can. Need some inspiration for healthy local snacks for kids? Here are some ideas for you that you’ll be able to source at locations all along our Culinary Trail!
- Keep some sliced carrots (and any other fresh Island veggies your kids enjoy) in the refrigerator with some dip the kids like. Let them eat from that special plate in the fridge as often as they like.
- Cold mussels are every bit as delicious as steaming hot mussels. Cook up an extra big batch on the weekend, and save some in the fridge for weekday snacks.
- Blueberry puree is a great healthy way to sweeten up a bowl of plain yogurt for snack time. You can also add a dab of local honey or maple syrup.
- When Island blueberries and strawberries are in season, they make a delicious treat for everyone. Smoothies made with frozen berries make yummy snacks, too.
- Slice up some local apples and serve them with peanut butter. Kids love this combo. It also works with bananas.
- Boil up some local eggs, and keep them in the fridge for quick and nutritious snacks.
- There’s so many local cheese to choose from to serve up with crackers.
- Pop some local popcorn for a rainy afternoon movie treat. You can even top with a little local butter!
- Bake a batch of mini muffins made with carrots, apples, or berries.
There’s lots of healthy, local options for you to choose from when keeping bellies full this summer. Have another one to add to the list? Tweet us (@PEIFlavours) and let us know!